RAPID RIVER “SHORTS” SUBMISSION GUIDELINES AND GENRES – Updated 1/12/2017
Rapid River Magazine’s Short Story section is a web exclusive feature. Stories do not appear in the print edition.
– RapidRiverMagazine.com is a family-friendly website, therefore certain written works with offensive or graphic content will not be considered for publication.
– Suggested submission length – up to 3,000 words per piece. Longer works are considered – up to 5000 words.
See below for reading fees.
– All submissions will be reviewed for appropriateness and quality. Material is expected to be print ready with basic standards of grammar, spelling and punctuation met as well as sentence structure. If extensive editing is required, the writer has the option of working with the section editor.
– Formatting requirements are as follows and please be carefully consistent. Submissions that do not adhere to these requirements will likely not be considered for publication.
MS Word, 12 point font. Left align. One space only, after periods. Single line spacing within paragraphs.
Double line spacing between paragraphs. Story dialogue can be indented or not. Remove all headers and footers. Remove page numbers. Send as an email attachment not in the body of the email.
– All submissions must be assigned either Fiction or Non-fiction, and a genre from the list below. Include at top of story.
– Including a picture or pictures related to the story, draws attention. Maximum of two will be chosen. Please size appropriately and include as an email attachment. Preferred format – JPEG, no larger than 500 KB.
– Copyrights are owned by the author. Submission to Rapid River Magazine implies consent to publish the author’s material on rapidrivermagazine.com.
– Include a brief writer’s bio, in third person, a few sentences in length. Include mention of any notable published works.
Send as an email attachment not in the body of the email.
– Selected work will be posted once a month to coincide with the distribution of the print edition and monthly updating of the website, both occurring at the first of each month. Submission does not guarantee publication.
– Deadline for submission is the 20th of the month. Posting to the website is at the discretion of the editor.
Crime & thriller – light
Crime & thriller
Crime & suspense
Dark humor – light
Feel good fiction
Horror – light
Inspirational & uplifting
Journal, including travel
Meaning & purpose